Originally Published 2010
By Gary L. Cole AIA, Esq.
Following up on a recent LawArk article that discussed Attorney General Eric Holder’s July 23, 2010 signature of the ADA’s revised regulations – which have been in various stages of administrative review and approval since July 2004 – the Department of Justice (DOJ) published the official text of the ADA’s regulations and the ADA Standards for Accessible Design in the Federal Register on September 15, 2010.
“These final rules will take effect March 15, 2011. Compliance with the 2010 Standards for Accessible Design is permitted as of September 15, 2010, but not required until March 15, 2012. The Department has prepared fact sheets identifying the major changes in the rules.”
Evan Terry Associates, P.C., one of the country’s leading ADA and Universal Design specialist architectural firms, provides an excellent collection of ADA-related resources in its September 15, 2010 newsletter, including:
1. New ADA Regulations and Standards Released Today
2. New Pocket Guide to 2010 ADA Standards
3. Pocket Guide to GSA’s ABA Standards for Federal Facilities
4. Detailed Comparison of 2010 ADA Standards to the 1991 ADA Standards (Free Download Coming)
5. NAADAC Webinar Series for ADA Coordinators and Access Specialists
As always, LawArk will continue to publish timely updates on the development of the ADA and other accessibility-related issues.
© Copyright Gary L. Cole AIA, ALA, Esq. 2010